Sunday, August 22, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Grilled Corn with Honey-Ancho Chile Butter

Emi has been a little behind on some of her posts, so thought I would do this week's recipe of the week. Also we haven't done one in awhile, so we're due. This week's recipe is straight out of the July issue of bon appetit.

Since Emi was out of town this weekend, I decided to plan a "Man Night" dinner for my friends. I went to the Edmonds Farmers Market with Pert to load up for that night's meal and dinner for Emi on Sunday night.

It's a good thing I went to the bank the day before to pull out some cash. I should have limited the amount of cash I brought to limit my spending because it was starting to turn into Monopoly money! However it's always good to buy local and the taste of fresh produce is worth the cost. Also most of the stuff is about as cheap as the grocery store if not less.

My final tally included chantrelles, homemade duck ravioli, peaches, cherries, Walla Walla sweet onions, zucchini, strawberries, blackberries, flowers, and some awesome sweet Yakima corn.

I ended up making the ricotta with sea salt and thyme spread which I served with a garlic toast. We also snacked on some of the fruit from the Farmers Market and I made a caprese salad to start off the meal. I grilled some BBQ chicken utilizing a great rub Emi's parents brought back from Austin for me. I also threw some some steaks on the grill, zucchini, and Walla Walla sweet onions for the side. To try something new I grilled the corn, but made the Honey-Ancho Chile Butter to serve it with.

On to the recipe.

What you'll need:
  • 8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
  • 1 T ancho chile powder (substituted some chile powder Emi's parent's brought back from New Mexico)
  • 1 t ground cumin
  • 1 T honey
  • 1/2 t dried oregano (didn't have any, but tasted great without it)
  • 1/2 t coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/4 t onion powder
  • 8 ears of corn
Directions:

Melt 2 T butter in small skillet over medium-low heat. Add chile powder and cumin; stir 10 seconds. Transfer to medium bowl; stir in honey and cool.

Add oregano, coarse salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and 6 T butter to butter mixture. Mix until smooth.

You can make this in advance and store in the fridge, just bring to room temperature before using.

Grill corn until charred in spots, turning often, about 13 minutes. Serve with honey-ancho butter.

Emi loves using different types of seasoning on her corn, so this was the perfect opportunity to try something new. The chile powder adds a nice subtle kick, while the honey and butter add a nice rich, creamy, sweetness to the already sweet corn. This is an easy add on to make and a great way to try something new. Make sure to take advantage of the summer corn and weather to BBQ up this recipe.

- Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment