Friday, March 4, 2011

True Texan BBQ - Vic's BBQ in Austin

I've been meaning to get this meal up on the blog for awhile now. This summer I traveled a lot and I ate a lot. Of all of the meals I consumed across the country the one I'm about to describe has to be one of my favorites, if not my favorite.

Whenever I travel for work I look up restaurants on Yelp and Urbanspoon to research where I should be spending my time and money. When you travel by yourself, the best companion is a tasty, warm meal. I knew when I went to Austin, I had to get some BBQ. Vic's was a small hole in the wall type of place that I found great reviews for online. I decided after I was done working for the day to hop in a cab to check out the place.

Right as my cab pulled up, I could see the workers locking the door!!! I jumped out of the cab and ran over to plead with the owner to let me in to buy some BBQ. I told her I was from Seattle and took a cab over here to eat because I heard how amazing their BBQ was. I have to admit, people in the South are friendlier because she let me in and told me she "only" had beef brisket left. Too bad that's all I wanted!

I wasn't sure how much to order, so decided to have them slice 3/4 of a pound of delicious beef brisket. Wish I had ordered 2 pounds. I grabbed my food to go, called a cab (took them 15 minutes to find me), and hurried into my room to feast.

In Seattle, it's really hard to find good BBQ, in general across the West Coast it's hard to find good BBQ. Until this meal I had never experienced BBQ that didn't require BBQ sauce. When I think of BBQ, I think of BBQ sauce. No longer, the rub, smoked on "bark", and tender brisket is all I needed. The brisket melted in my mouth and what flavor. Smokey, BBQ, amazing brisket.


The meal did come with a tangy, vinegary BBQ sauce, but it was not needed. This melt in your mouth, smokey BBQ brisket was perfect as is. So if you ever find yourself in Austin and want to experience true hole in the wall BBQ, make sure to check out Vic's!

- Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment