Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Best Dinner I've Ever Made

My grandmother and her sister in law are both great cooks. Every year both grandmothers host their side of the family for Christmas Eve dinner. My "Auntie" lives near my grandparents so we always go over before dinner with my family to visit. Every Christmas Eve they eat short ribs and she always let's me sample them before dinner because she knows they are my favorite. Recently she gave me the recipe so that I could try making them for myself.

There are a number of reasons why this is the best dinner I've ever made. 1) It is really, really easy to make, 2) It's amazing how something as simple as meat, some vegetables, salt and pepper can create such a great complex, delicious flavor 3) If given enough time to cook properly the short ribs come out super tender and melt off of the bones.



I bought 3 lbs of beef short ribs from Central Market that I seasoned with Kosher salt, fresh black pepper, and a few drops of Tabasco. Then I browned them with olive oil over high heat in my Le Creuset.
After cooking the spare ribs on high heat for about 3 minutes per side I added in 2 coarsely chopped potatoes, 5 stalks of celery, 4 carrots, 1 large onion, and a 28 oz. can of San Marzano whole tomatoes. I also added in my "secret ingredient"; truffle salt. The original recipe didn't ask for it, but I knew it would add great flavor to the dish. Then I closed up the Le Creuset and cooked it on Med Low heat for about 2 hours.

After 2 hours I opened up the pot and was met with an amazing, hearty stew with a truffle fragrance. I added in 1 tsp of Kosher salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper, and some more truffle salt. A little bit of truffle salt goes a long way.
This is a great meal for a cold winter day because it will not only warm up your home, but it will also fill up your kitchen with a delicious smell. Let the meat cook a little longer with the top on and you know it's done when the meat is tender when tested with a fork.

I recommend spooning the tender meat and stew over rice. Don't just consume this meal, savor it. Take the time to taste a variety of flavors within each bite from the truffle salt to the delicious fatty, tender meat.
This is a fool proof, delicious meal, just make sure to set aside enough time to make it.
Enjoy!
- Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment