Friday, November 5, 2010

My BBQ Birthday Extravaganza

Only 2 months late....once again, the blog has been a casualty of Kyle and my hectic schedules and I am finding a long list of backlogged posts waiting patiently for my attention.

I celebrated my 26th birthday with my wonderful family and a BBQ extravaganza. I was inspired by the end of our rainy, cold summer, to enjoy one last drop of summer fun.


Kyle's Aunt and Uncle, Cheri and Jon, made these fall-off-the-bone, juicy, sweet and tangy ribs. They were gone quickly and the only evidence of our feast was this photo, a couple clean bones, and sticky fingers.


We also did a burger bar with all the fixings: sauteed onions and mushrooms, guacamole, bacon, cheese.....mmmmm....

After our amazing Japadog experience at the Vancouver Olympics, I have been craving a good "Japanese" fusion hot dog. Kyle really likes this Starburst commercial for Sweet and Sour Starbursts. There is a "Scottish Korean" man in a kilt that tells his son that just like the sweet/sour Starburst, he is a contradiction. That is what these hot dogs are...random reference, I know.

What makes the hot dog "Japanese"? We put equal parts soy sauce and sugar with about a tablespoon of ginger on the stove at low heat. Once it started to boil, we turned down the heat and added the hot dogs to marinate for about 10 minutes and infuse with a teriyaki flavor. Then, we grilled them up and topped with Japanese Mayo, Okonomiyake sauce, and nori. They were delicious!


We also had classic hot dogs and Bobby Flay's New York hot dog. I linked the recipe, it is a keeper! As you can see from the photo, there was a unique roasted red pepper relish, "NY onions", horseradish mustard...yummo!


My mother in law made fresh lemonade, which went perfect with our picnic themed bbq feast!

My dad makes me a cheesecake every year for my birthday. I remember as a kid watching him slave over the complicated NY Times recipe the day before my birthday parties. The cheesecake is delicious, but I think the love and effort my father puts into the cake makes it taste even better.

Every year we have a different topping. This year it was a passion fruit topping.

One of the best parts of family gatherings is seeing our adorable nephew, Owen. He recently was captured on film saying "Em........iiiiiiiiiiiii". Although it was only two syllables, I am convinced he was really saying, "I love my Auntie Emi and she is my favorite Auntie in the whole world."

The aftermath of our gluttony. Buster, Mia, and husband were all pooped after a long day of fun!

Thank you to the whole family who helped to make my birthday special and fun! I am so blessed to have wonderful people in my life who know the way to my heart is through my stomach!

Happy Eating,

Emi

No comments:

Post a Comment