Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ramen

Ramen is one of the most popular Japanese junk foods around. And I'm not talking about Top Ramen, which got me through many college nights. Kyle and I became addicted to this when we studied abroad at Waseda University in Tokyo during the summer of our Junior year of college. There was an amazing little shop that was about 3/4 of a mile down the road from our dorm. It would seem reasonable to walk there, but it was about 90+ degrees and 100% humidity, so we would take an air conditioned bus to the restaurant, and then would feast. Pretty pathetic and that is why we came home so "well nourished" when most would lose weight in this active and relatively healthy land. The restaurant is called Ippudo, and is a chain that is found around Japan. They recently opened a location in New York, so if you are ever in the area, check it out and bring us back leftovers.

We've searched all over Seattle for a decent ramen shop, but there really isn't any. My dad says there is a new place in the International District that is good, but I haven't been yet.

My friend Greyson sent me a funny link to a You Tube video called Cooking with Dog, that shows how to make real Japanese Ramen. It was pretty labor intensive, but the end result was pretty close to the real deal. We enjoyed this with my parents a couple of weeks ago.


Check out the You Tube video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa0umYJVGg. It's hilarious!

Happy Eating,
Emi

No comments:

Post a Comment