Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Dining Out For Life - Epulo

Emi and I realize how lucky we are and whenever possible do what we can to give back. Whether it's our time or money we always try to give back to community causes and organizations that are near to us. Recently we've participated in different food related philanthropic events and that's something we can definitely get behind. For example something easy that anyone can sign up for is the Celebrated Chefs program. We've mentioned it before, but all you have to do is put your credit card on file and dine in at one of the numerous participating restaurants around the area and 5% of your total bill goes to charity. Super easy. Sometimes I forget that we're even dining at a participating restaurant until I get the email later and you get a free hardcover cookbook.

Recently I saw on Facebook that an old co-worker of mine was organizing and leading the Seattle Dining Out For Life event and would be hosting the event at our favorite local restaurant Epulo. The Dining Out For Life fundraiser takes place on one night every year and tons of restaurants around the region participate and donate a percentage of their proceeds to The Lifelong AIDS Alliance. I'm pretty sure Epulo donated 30% of their proceeds to the organization, which was very generous, especially when I saw how busy the place was throughout the night.

Our group of former Wamulians, it was fun to catch up with everyone, especially over great food.


Emi and I shared our entrees, she went with the wood fired Proscuitto arugula pizza which consisted of a soft crust, shaved Parmesan, garlic, truffle oil (loved the scent), and arugula. Delicious as always.

I went with the Painted Hills Short Ribs - Oregon natural beef, garlic whipped potatoes, baby arugula, and a red wine demi. Tender, delicious, and filling and I'm happy I shared with Emi so I could get some pizza too!

Our friends went with the in season halibut.

For dessert our friends ordered the Pane di Banana Carmelo - banana bread pudding, caramel creme anglaise, walnut brittle, ala mode Molly Moon salted caramel ice-cream. I couldn't try this because of the bananas, but had to take their word for how good this was.

Our tried and true Zeppole's - handmade doughnuts dusted with cinnamon and sugar served with salted caramel anglaise. I don't think you could come up with a tasty, yet so simple combination as sugar and cinnamon and then when you roll some fried balls of dough in it, amazing.

Great event, for a great cause, with amazing food, and even better company. I can't wait for next year's event.

- Kyle
Add Video

1 comment:

  1. Painted Hills has the best beef ever! If I see it on a menu I am sold. Those are some happy cows for sure.

    ReplyDelete